China has added insult to injury, applying a new round of situs slot online tariffs to Australian wine.
China’s Ministry of Commerce today announced that tariffs of either 6.3 or 6.4 per cent, would apply to Australian wine due to claims winemakers were subsidised.
The tariffs will apply from December 11 for the remainder of China’s investigation into countervailing claims, which is expected to report no earlier than August next year.
However, industry group Australian Grape and Wine said the latest round of tariffs were unlikely to have an impact, given the trade has already ground to a halt over an unofficial customs ban and anti-dumping tariffs of up to 200 per cent that were applied last month.
“It’s unlikely they’ll have any practical implication given the current tariffs are so high,” CEO Tony Battaglene said.
The Australian Government and wine industry deny any anticompetitive behaviour.
Trade Minister Simon Birmingham said the new tariff was marginal compared to the initial tariffs and it “shows China’s making of these decisions is not being based properly on the evidence”.
“The evidence is very clear in the Australian wine industry’s favour and we will continue to defend the wine industry by using the domestic processes available in China, and ultimately considering the appeal rights of the independent umpire through the World Trade Organization,” Senator Birmingham said.
“This is obviously another step in what has been a disappointing, frustrating and deeply concerning pattern of decisions by China over quite some period of time, we have called out those behaviours and that pattern of behaviour, we’ve done so publicly, we’ve done so directly with China.”